Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Carol - Saturday's ride was for me my longest ride to date.  I did not get on the rode as early as I'd have liked.  So, after finishing my preparation I gave Rich my anticipated route and off I went. I had originally planned on riding sixty to eighty miles, however, between my late start and afternoon plans I didn't have as much time as I  needed. After doing some research I found that Old Lake Samish has a stretch similar to the grade and length as what we will encounter on the STP.  So off I headed in that direction.  This meant for me to take the safest route I would have to ride down and then back track and back up to even get to that stretch of road.  Oh well, extra hill work is always good.  My new fanny pack needed some adjusting so I did stop a few times at the beginning of the ride.  However, after mile eight I really didn't stop again until I reached Sedro Woolley where I stopped to visit my Dad and Sue.  This first stretch was 30.5 miles and after some calculating my average speed was 14+ per mile.  I have to say that given the amount of hills I was really happy with that.  Since the day was so beautiful I continued my ride out in the farmland of Skagit County and over Cook Road interchange and on to Edison Tavern where I had arranged for Rich to meet me for lunch and to give me a ride home so we could attend some friends memorial service.
I have found that most drivers are very courteous to biker riders, however, not so much for the big trucks.  More then once these large construction trucks would pass me and not even move left when no one was coming.  I mean seriously, are they that inconsiderate or do they just don't see me.  Either way it's kind of scary.
I also was chased for the first time by a dog.  My air horn just seemed to make this little dog angry and he kept running after me.  It was irritating but I have to say I was impressed with his stamina.  He probably followed me two blocks before he gave up.  I could hear him breathing the whole time and by the end I thought he was going to have a heart attack and die on the road. 

Highlights of the ride:
Making it up the hill that is similar to the STP's at mile forty five
Riding a seven mile stretch at 17+ mph
Seeing Dad and Sue
Riding along the rural route and smelling freshly mowed grass
The fanny pack is great for longer rides but probably not necessary when riding twenty or less

Some things to think about:
My shoulders still hurt when I ride for a long time
When riding more more than forty miles I should use some body (butt) butter
It might be good to take an advil before a long ride to help alleviate muscle soreness.

If you have any good idea's for my trouble area's please leave a comment as I'm willing to learn from other peoples experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment