Sunday, June 10, 2012

Carol - Sunday.....the day I put my bike down for the first time.  I was actually looking forward to my ride today and hoping for a forty mile ride.  The weather again was cold and there was wind.  It doesn't take a whole lot of wind to make a difference because you also create windage as you ride, however, I decided to continue on.  I took a different route just because I thought it would be fun to mix things up.  I ended up at the intersection of Dupont and Broadway in front of the fire state doors.  It took forever to have the light change because there were no cars going straight on my side so I actually sat through five light changes.  I was almost ready to take the crosswalk just when the light turned green.  I gave a good power push and was getting ready to followup with another powerful down stroke when the light turned yellow.  I was wondering what was going on because it didn't stay green long enough for even one car to make it through.  Yet I was committed at that point.  It was just after the second power stroke that I heard the ambulance.  I looked to my left and realized I wouldn't be able to make it across so I braked hard and went down.  It wasn't even graceful..... it was hard and on my left.  I took a quick inventory of myself, got up grabbing my bike and went over to the side of the rode.  It took just a couple of seconds to see that I had punctured my knee and that it was bleeding down my leg.  Fortunately I had put in a fresh pack of tissue in my bag but every time I removed it blood would squirt out.  I decided to call Rich and have him pick me up.  I made my way (limping) across the street over to the firehouse and sat on one of the picnic tables in their patio area.  The firefighters must have seen me because three came running out offering to help.  They bandaged me up and talked with me while I waited for Rich. 
I am now on the couch with a very, very, sore beat up knee and leg.  I just hope I can get on the trainer and ride again soon.   BTW I didn't get my forty miles in...I think I ended up with a whopping six.  Oh well,  my bike is fine and I'm sure I will be too in a couple of days.  It could have been a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment